- A Message from our Principal
- St Mary's Prays
- St Mary's Congratulates
- Kinder Enrolment 2021
- Internet Agreement
- Happy Birthday
- Staff Changes Week 8 - Term 2
- School Counsellor Visit
- School Cross Country - On Again!
- Year 5/6 Biannual Canberra Excursion
- P & F News
- IMPORTANT DATES IN THE COMING WEEK
- Canteen Re-Opening
- Community Notices
- Cancer Council Healthy Lunch Box
Dear Parents and Carers
I wanted to share an update on our reports for Semester 1, 2020.
In response to the changed learning circumstances in Term 1 and Term 2, Semester 1 2020 reporting processes have been modified to provide parents with specific information about their child’s achievement and progress.
The Semester 1 Report will have the following information:
- The report covers work completed in both Term 1 and Term 2.
- Student achievement will be reported as an A-E grade for the three main core areas: Religious Education, English and Mathematics.
- The other Key Learning Area’s, Science, HSIE, PDHPE and Creative Arts will have ‘Not assessed’ displayed. This means that, although the learning throughout the semester has been rigorous, it is not possible to make an overall judgement about the student’s achievement in relation to the reporting Outcomes or Achievement Standards against the Grade Descriptors in these areas.
- A new section ‘Engagement with Learning’ has been developed to replace the ‘Personal and Social Capabilities’. The new statements are based on the Australian Curriculum: General capabilities, and target four key areas of learning engagement: Thinking, Communication, Responsibility, Collaboration. These statements provide targeted information about your child’s approach to learning.
- Catholic Education, Canberra and Goulburn has decided to remove the General Comment section of the report to maintain a consistent approach across the system.
We will be distributing reports on Monday the 27th of July and will provide information on Parent Teacher interviews closer to that time.
Follow this link to find an online timer, which is located at the top of the screen in the middle.
You will hear a bell that will begin and end your meditation time. Spend your time meditating and repeating the mantra Maranatha. This is used to invite the Lord into your prayer.
Try to use this time as a time in silence, stillness and simpleness.
|Bella Alchin||Scarlett Connellan||Archer Crawford|
|Harry Cumming||Riley Greenwood||Sam Koop|
|Marley Loudon||Chelsea Nielsen||Luca Northfield|
|Hamwene Sichimwi||Ricky Smith||Will Stokes|
We are welcoming new enrolments for the 2021 school year. We appreciate that this is a significant decision for parents and know that new families will need time to consider all available options.
Please enrol online at our website with the link below or call at the school office for a paper form. https://smwms.nsw.edu.au/enrolment
If you require further information please ring and make an appointment.
Your child has received the St Mary's School ICT & iPad Student User Agreement.
The content of this document is of high importance. Parents and students need to engage with the document and discuss key points before signing. Please take particular notice of the social media requirements of the document and be aware most social media applications require a minimum age of 13. The signed agreement is due back to school before Tuesday 23rd of June.
Students who have not returned the form by the due date will not be permitted to use an iPad at school.
The school strongly advises that parents of primary school children need to have a healthy presence is their child's internet activity.
Teacher on Leave or PD
Monday 15 June
Mr Nielsen will be attending SILOAM on Friday 19th of June. This will be done via Zoom however he will not be available in the office.
Mrs Emma McRae our counsellor will still be visiting our school next week on Wednesday the 17th of June.
Emma will be holding her counselling sessions face to face again while maintaining the appropriate social distancing protocols.
If you would like to make a confidential appointment for your child please contact the office.
Our school cross country will be held on Tuesday 30 June 2020.
Please note there is no Western Region or Archdiocesan Cross Country this year.
Students in Years 3 to 6, plus Year 2 students who turn 8 in 2020 will compete on a course at school.
UPDATE: Kinder and Year 1 and Year 2 students who are 7 in 2020 will participate in a modified cross country after the primary cross country.
Unfortunately due to COVID-19 restrictions parents will not be able to attend and watch as in previous years.
No permission note will be required as the students are competing on the school grounds. Please contact the school if you do not wish your child to participate.
|School Cross Country Information||
Race 1 - 8 & 9 years 2000 metres
Race 1 - 10 year 2000 metres
Race 3 - 11 year 3000 meters
Race 4 - 12 year 3000 meters
Children may wear house colours on that day.
The dates proposed were Term 4, Week 1 Wednesday 14th October to Friday 16th October, 2020. Most of the itinerary was finalised and we had secured cabin accommodation at the Alivio Tourist Park which was a bonus. Costing had not been finalised but we were looking between $250 - $300 maximum. At the moment overnight school excursions are still banned but we are hoping that by Term 4 the ban may be lifted and the students can still attend the excursion.
Please mark these dates on your calendar and hopefully the excursion will be on. We will keep you informed as we know more.
The canteen will be open Monday, Wednesday and Friday starting next week.
Please be aware of the following changes:
- Only lunch orders will be taken. Please use your brown paper bag as normal with your child's name, class and order. Include the money and remember if you have more than one child put the money in the oldest child's order bag.
- The modified menu is shown below and will be revised for Term 3.
- There will be no over the counter sales at recess or lunch so please don't give your children spending money.
- Your child's lunch order bag will need to include any drinks, snacks and icecreams for lunch time only.
- Please note hot chocolates will not be sold and noodles will be served cooked but with no liquid.
- Reheats are accepted but must be sent in with a lunch order bag.
- Change will be given with the lunch order but as per above there is no opportunity for your child to spend this money.
Parents can be assured that we will continue to keep the canteen clean and disinfected as per our normal hygiene practice which is a five star rating.
Information for Volunteers
A few reminders for the next three weeks in the canteen:
- Volunteers are requested to start their shift at midday, the pie ovens will be turned on by the office at 11am to pre-heat.
- Please sign-in at the office. All volunteers who don't have a WWCC registered with the school are required to sign a declaration form before working in the canteen, a copy is held in the office.
- Hand washing on entry is still required but now also hand sanitiser has been placed in the canteen and from now on this will be an ongoing requirement that this is used on entry to the canteen and after each session where cash is handled - ie, lunch order sorting, recess, lunch and daily cash counting.
- At the end of each day, as is normal practice, volunteers are required to count the daily cash takings and sort them into coin tender bags that will be at the bottom of the cash drawer.
- All bench tops are required to be disinfected before close.
- Our canteen manager will be reviewing the core canteen tasks for volunteers and they will be issued as a guide for new and existing volunteers.
15 Jun 2020